Trains in Switzerland | Info, Timetable & Train Tickets
Swiss Travel Pass: 100% Discount
Swiss Half Fare Card: 50% Discount
Vitznau-Rigi: Europe’s first cog railway back in 1871
Duration: 23 minutes, departs every 30 minutes
Weggis-Rigi: panorama cable car
Stunning panoramic view across the Alps
Rigi is car-free
Find the best hotels nearby the station of Rigi
- Rigi Railway - Map
- Rigi Railway - Facts
- Switzerland by train - Train tickets, rail passes & info
- Swiss Travel Pass - List of all the highlights
Rigi Railway - Map
Rigi Railway - Facts
The Rigi Railway runs up from Vitznau and Arth Goldau to the Rigi Kulm at 1789 meter above sea level. From here you have the best views to Lake Lucerne and surrounding mountains.
At the station
The Rigi Railway runs from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm on the summit and back to Arth-Goldau station. From Lucerne to Vitznau ships run every hour in the summer season. Trains from Arth Goldau to Lucerne operate every 30 minutes. Its possible to make a round trip Lucerne-Vitznau-Rigi Kulm-Arth Goldau-Lucerne.
- Comfortable seats
- Big windows to enjoy the magnificent views
- Only second class available on Rigi trains
No catering onboard, however there are restaurants on the Rigi Kulm and most other stations.
Children up to 15 years travel for free on a Family Card when they travel with their (grand)parents. This Family Card is for sale at any Swiss train station for 30 Swiss Francs. When you're travelling on a Pass of the Swiss Travel System this card is available for free.
Dogs are accepted on the Rigi Railway. Small dogs in a bag or bench travel for free, larger dogs pay half the adult fare. Dogs have always to be on a leash.
Limited luggage space available. There are luggage lockers in Lucerne to store you large luggage so you can travel up the Rigi light.
You can board the train at any time before departure.
Interrail / Eurail
Interrail and Eurail are not valid on the Rigi Railway but give a discount on tickets bought locally.
For groups from 6 persons we offer special group fares, see Group travel by train
Switzerland by train - Train tickets, rail passes & info
Swiss Travel Pass
- 1 pass for all trains, buses and boats in Switzerland
- Cheaper than multiple single-journey tickets
- Free travel on most panoramic routes
- Free travel on public transport in 75 towns and cities
- Free admission to more than 490 museums
- Swiss Travel Pass - More information
Train Tickets in Switzerland
- All point-to-point tickets in Switzerland
- Half Fare discount
- Supersaver tickets
- Train Tickets in Switzerland - More information
Trains in Switzerland
Swiss Travel Pass - List of all the highlights
- Glacier Express
- Bernina Express
- Golden Pass Line
- Gotthard Panorama Express
- Chocolate Train
- Cheese Train
- Centovalli Line
- Voralpen Express
Mountains Trains and Cableways