Panoramic Train Switzerland, Zermatt
Order Your Tickets
Swiss Travel Pass: 50% Discount
Swiss Half Fare Card: 50% Discount
Europe’s highest open-air cog railway
Departs every 24 minutes from Zermatt
Magnificent train ride to the Gornergrat viewing platform at 3089 metres
Spectular panorama: 4000-metre giants such as the Matterhorn and the Dufourspitze
At the top you can dine in a restaurant with amazing views
Find the best hotels nearby the station of Zermatt
- Gornergrat Railway - Map
- Gornergrat Railway - Facts
- Switzerland by train - Train tickets, rail passes & info
- Swiss Travel Pass - List of all the highlights
- Trains in Switzerland - Overview
Gornergrat Railway - Map
Gornergrat Railway - Facts
The Gornergrat Railway runs up from Zermatt to the Gornergrat at 3089 meter above sea level. From here you have the best views to the Matterhorn and surrounding mountains of Zermatt.
Operates year-round, in 24-minute intervals.
Travel duration to summit
Up 33 min / down 44 mins
View of the glaciers of Monte Rosa, reflection of Matterhorn in Lake Riffel (visible in calm weather), journey with the Gornergrat cog railway to 3089 MASL, Gorner Gorge.
Food & beverage
Elegant restaurant with a view onto Monte Rosa mountain massif, cheese and roesti (Swiss fried grated potato dish) specialities, self-service restaurant.
Climate audio walk (audio guide) Zermatt–Rotenboden–Monte Rosa cabin.
- Comfortable seats
- Big windows to enjoy the magnificent views
- Only second class available on Gornergrat trains
No catering onboard, there are however restaurants in Zermatt and on the Gornergrat.
Children up to 15 years travel for free on a Family Card when they travel with their (grand)parents. This Family Card is for sale at any Swiss train station for 30 Swiss Francs. When you're travelling on a Pass of the Swiss Travel System this card is available for free.
Dogs are accepted on the Gornergrat Railway. Small dogs in a bag or bench travel for free, larger dogs pay half the adult fare. Dogs have always to be on a leash.
Limited luggage space available. There are luggage lockers in Zermatt to store you large luggage so you can travel up the Gornergrat light.
You can board the train at any time before departure.
Interrail / Eurail
Interrail and Eurail are not valid on the Gornergrat Railway.
For groups from 6 persons we offer special group fares, see Group travel by train.
At the station
The train station of the Gornergrat Railway is next to Zermatt Railway Station.
Switzerland by train - Train tickets, rail passes & info
Swiss Travel Pass
- 1 pass for all trains, buses and boats in Switzerland
- Cheaper than multiple single-journey tickets
- Free travel on most panoramic routes
- Free travel on public transport in 75 towns and cities
- Free admission to more than 490 museums
- Swiss Travel Pass - More information
Train Tickets in Switzerland
- All point-to-point tickets in Switzerland
- Half Fare discount
- Supersaver tickets
- Train Tickets in Switzerland - More information
Trains in Switzerland
Swiss Travel Pass - List of all the highlights
- Glacier Express
- Bernina Express
- Golden Pass Line
- Gotthard Panorama Express
- Chocolate Train
- Cheese Train
- Centovalli Line
- Voralpen Express
Mountains Trains and Cableways